Google Adsense

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The Risks That May Come With Taking Birth Control?

Collapse

MillionaireMatch

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Risks That May Come With Taking Birth Control?

Can we PLEASE also talk about the risks that may come with taking birth control? I had the IUD, and it made me moody, it did affect my menstrual cycle, and I had gained a stubborn 20 pounds. Let's not forget to mention the tremendous amount of pain I felt after sex. It wasn't consistent in my life; sex was still enjoyable, but when the pain did happen- it was terrible. Not one doctor had ever warned me about that risk.

I eat very healthy and exercise regularly. Two weeks into my new life without my IUD I dropped 20 pounds- without changing my health routine at all. A whole three years I wondered why I couldn't lose weight, and it turns out it was my birth control. I had asked the doctor many questions regarding my concerns, and weight was one of them. She had told me it wouldn't be a problem, yet it became one.

Every time I ask a doctor (I've seen a few) to inform me on different forms of birth control, they seem talk very highly about each form, and leave out a lot of the risks. Why is this?

I'm not saying birth control is bad. I really want to get back on birth control, actually. I'm just scared that I'll think I know what i'm putting in my body, but I actually won't REALLY know.

Once not long ago, I told my primary doctor that I was looking to get on birth control again. I told her that I had been off of birth control for a while because my last experience was terrible. I told her in great detail about my complications, but forgot to mention which form of birth control I was speaking of. The first thing she says is "Well, the most gentle form is an IUD: It has low levels of hormones, it won't make you gain weight..." it won't do this and that and yadayada

I responded with "That's the one I'm talking about. That's the one that made me gain weight and put me in a lot of pain." "Really? And here I am telling people that it won't do that!" She literally faceplamed.

I really don't know what to do. I don't trust doctors with their knowledge on birth control. I wish I could, but I just don't. Does anyone have any advice or even an experience they'd like to share with me?

Hi! I work at an OB/GYN office and this is such a common conversation (obviously). I personally have an IUD and love it. My body, however, is completely different from yours and I'm in no way invalidating your claims. It really is true that they work wonderfully for some and terribly for others. There are different IUDs and I'm curious to what your specific one was. There are a few that have been more known to cause problems. Also, I had a rocky experience until the 6 month mark where my doctor said I would most likely be most satisfied. I had a very unstable/predictable period, was a little moody, and gained weight. But after using it awhile I do not have a period (which I personally enjoy- I know some women do not want to alter their cycle like this) and am back to my normal self. To be completely honest, doctors love birth control because they do their job so well. They don't get girls pregnant.

Comment

Well, its true that there are people who react differently, but the VAST majority of people will experience few side effects with an IUD. Plus, you say its been a while, so maybe the one you had was one that ended up being taken off the market because of the increase in side effects.

Comment

Everyone's body reacts differently to all different forms of contraceptives. Please ask your doctor about all the side effects each one causes before you decide to take it and if you are experiencing problems with it, tell your doctor so you may try something else. I take the pill and had no problems with it besides mood swings that I only suffered in the beginning but now I am actually going to switch to the 5 year IUD plan. I'm going to be a very busy college student so I'm going to try the IUD bc it seems more convenient.

Comment

There are MANY birth control methods - barrier, spermicide, the pill, the shot, the implant, IUD, having him wear a condom, withdrawal, and natural method of just consulting a calendar (though this one works best if you have consistent predictable cycle). Definitely do some research and decide which is best for you.

Comment

This is what I keep talking about! I am an 18 year old single virgin, but have done some research for the future - more, it seems, than most married ladies using birth control for decades have ever done.

The side effects are just horrifying. The pill was most horrifying to me - hair loss, migraines, fatigue, mood swings & increased risk in cervical and breast (?) cancer are just the first that spring to mind. The list was scary long. What's worse is it isn't some small statistic I read online that never actually happens... No, I see it everyday... my own mother suffers from many side affects (among them are monthly severe migraines & really bad hair loss), and so does almost every woman I know!

Yet even when I tell them, they say 'oh, wow really?/yeah I know it's bad, But what can I do I need birth control. Other methods just aren't as reliable'. My aunt actually did switch from the pill to IUD, but it FELL OUT (she of course freaked out - what if she hadn't noticed & continued having s*x as per usual till one day she fell pregnant & then realized?!)

Idk man.... For me, I WILL NOT have any hormonal method tampering about with my system... Non hormonal IUD may be the best and most successful one of my options (lets face it, a young firey couple is gonna find it hard and annoying to remember condoms EVERY time), but before I sign up to anything I'll ensure I know the ins, outs, hows, whys, & risks risks risks.

RESEARCH LADIES! RESEARCH!

Comment

AGREED! There is not enough conversation about the side-effects! My bro's wife had an IUD, she gained 80 pounds in 6 months and she wouldn't stop gaining weight until her doctor finally agreed to take it out. It also changed her moods and sent her into a terrible depression which she has still not recovered from. My other bro's wife has taken The Pill since she was 12 years old. In the last 2 years she's been off it and trying to get pregnant and cannot. Her doctor even said it CHANGED her hormones! Lastly, I actually have low progesterone in my body, but high estrogen, so I stopped having periods. My regular doctor tried to put me on the Pill, but my endocrinologist said because it was fake hormones (ie produced in a lab), they would disrupt my endocrine system and screw up my estrogen levels even more! We really cannot believe everything doctors tell us, especially doctors who make money by pushing certain types of drugs (they actually do! Some drug reps actually pay them to prescribe certain medications, over others!), we need to do our research, decide what is good and right for us and then follow through. Listen to your doctor, for sure! BUT also take it with a grain of salt and never blindly trust what they tell you.

Comment

Just to clarify they were talking specifically about the COPPER IUD (paragard) not Skyla, or Mirena which have low doses of hormones. However, I do agree they need to talk more about side effects (other than increased risk of blood clots for smokers with the pills). Every person's body is different and some forms of birth control work better for different people. It is important that you make educated decisions, and that you trust yourself (and hopefully your doctor). But in the end, as with any medication, there is the risk of side effects and it's really a matter of whether those risks (or actual side effects) are worth it. I would encourage you to look into which hormones and at what doses the form of birth control you were on (skyla or mirena, I would guess you took mirena as it is more popular and skyla is relatively new). Most birth controls (other than the copper iud) are hormonal - they release certain levels of hormones. Some ore progesterone based while others are estrogen based (but many have both, but usually one hormone is more dominant). Some women do find that they don't do well with progesterone dominant BC - for whatever reason their bodies don't react well to those higher levels of progesterone.

Comment

Working...
                X