MillionaireMatch

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Birth Control Pills Will Not Work Anymore When You Take Antibiotics

I do want to advice that when you're taking birth control pills, and you become sick or something and you start taking an antibiotic, the birth control pills WILL NOT work anymore. You can't take them together. You would have to start a new pack of pills after your antibiotic is finished. Just a common mistake that I've noticed that I thought I'd share.

That's not true at all. It's true that SOME antibiotics affect the effectiveness of birth control, but you are never supposed to stop your pack of birth control and restart it after a session of antibiotics.

Comment

Will it stop working if I take it with Prozac?

Comment

Originally posted by Elizabeth View Post
        I can't tell you exactly for sure and I don't want to give you the wrong answer I just know antibiotics and things like that can sometimes effect your bc that's why they recommend using condoms so just call up and ask your dr or your local pharmacy and they will let you know

Comment

Originally posted by Elizabeth View Post
          You're okay to take it with prozac at least that's what i was told from my doctor. also it is true that some medications will cause your birth control to be less effective but that is not true for ALL medications. always ask your doctor.

Comment

rifampicin and rifabutin, antibiotics likes these can make your hormone pills less effective. but then again, it always depends on your body, the pills you're taking, and whatnot.

Comment

What?? Umhh... I got sick once and I took my birth control pills and antibiotics together, both worked out, it's been 3 months since that happened and I'm not pregnant so I guess it is not a rule...ask your doctors

Comment

The interaction between OCP and certain antibiotics is purely theoretical and likely to just be a myth. To be on the safe side, keep taking the pill and add a method of birth control (diaphragm or condom or abstinence) until 7 days after your last antibiotic tablet. Stop spreading information on things you're not sure about, especially if you use absolute terms like "will not work", "you can't", etc. There's already enough misinformation out there.

Comment

There are only 2 antibiotics that cause it not to work and they are not commonly used.

Comment

The possibility of antibiotics affecting birth control medication is always a hot topic due to the possible severe consequences of an interaction. The interaction is based mostly on the theory that since birth control pills partially rely on the normal bacteria in your gut to help metabolize and absorb estrogen in the body, altering that bacteria can lessen how effective birth control is. Studies regarding this matter have continually shown that most antibiotics DO NOT cause any problems with hormonal contraceptive concentrations. Most, if not all of the studies come to the conclusion that most antibiotics (such as amoxicillin and minocycline) do not significantly change levels of oral contraceptives in the vast majority of patients and that back-up contraception is not necessary if contraceptives are used reliably during antibiotic use. It was found however that a select FEW patients DID have lower levels of hormones after taking antibiotics. There were however, no clinical effects associated with this

The only antibiotics class which causes an actual severe interaction with birth control is known as the rifamycin class of antibiotics. They greatly speed up how fast birth control is broken down in the liver. Fortunately, minocycline is not in that class.

Most of the studies relate to short term antibiotic use and during long-term antibiotic administration, the risk for drug interaction is less clear. The best possibility to help reduce the risk of a possible interaction is to take a medium to high dose of a combined (both estrogen and progestin) oral contraceptive. In addition, a non oral method of contraception such as intravaginal rings and patches would bypass this interaction almost entirely.

Oftentimes various literature and website sources report that separating doses of an antibioitic and birth control (taking in the morning and evening) may help matters, but there is no evidence that this is a better way to go. Usually that method works well if there is an actual drug-drug interaction between two products. In this case, we are worried about an altered levels of bacteria in the gut, not two drugs interacting with each other. Long term administration will likely change the normal levels of bacteria in the gut for an extended period of time, so separating doses likely won't have much benefit.

So as far as a best recommendation, people are probably fine taking both birth control and antibiotics together. It is very important make sure to stay consistent on the time you take the birth control. Always watch out for breakthrough bleeding, spotting and any similar side effects as that could indicate a fluctuation of your hormonal levels in the body.

Comment

Working...
                    X