Google Adsense

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

My girlfriend talks about settling down... what do I do?

Collapse

MillionaireMatch

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My girlfriend talks about settling down... what do I do?

My Colombian girlfriend has been hinting that she wants to settle down and get married soon. She started talking about having kids and how many. Despite all that sounding great, I do believe that we’re not ready for it. It has only been 7 months since we met and despite things going well and serious between us, I still think we’re not in a stage where we should be talking about marriage.

We’ve already met and it has only been twice since we’ve been together face to face and although I agree that the distance is really troublesome, I want us to progress in a healthy time and way. I don’t want to hurt her when I talk to her about the fact that I get a bit uncomfortable when she talks about “starting a family.” Even though we are both financially stable and I know that we can afford to do all that… I just don’t feel that it’s the right time.

It’s not like I’m saying that I won’t be marrying her nor do I have no intentions to… it’s just that, it’s not the time for me yet. So how can I tell her without hurting her feelings? I don’t want to lose her and I don’t want this to be a reason for trouble between us, especially with this distance… what should I do? I need HELP!

It's simple! Just let her know you both need time to know yourselves better before considering marriage.

Comment

It's going to take at least a year to really get to know each other, and to see in what direction your feelings are taking you. Don't react to her when she is pressuring you to commit, that will just exacerbate the situation. It is also vital that you do not give in to her pressure! If and when you take the next step forward it has to be because it is something that you want to do, not something that you have been nagged into.

Why is she pressuring you to commit, what has triggered this desire? Does the problem lie in the fact that you two haven't really been properly communicating with each other? It could be that you have been together a long time, and it is only natural to want to take the relationship forward. Has she been dropping subtle hints that completely passed you by, and so the only weapon that she thinks that she has left is to pressure you to commit. Does she actually know how you feel about? I hope that you are aware that the world will not come to an end if you talk about things like emotions.

Your slowness to respond could also be down to your still being unsure as to your feelings about her. Committing to each other is a big step and you have to be certain that it is the right move for you to make.

Are you scared to commit? Are you scared about losing your freedom, your identity, your independence, and your escape route? It's true that being in a committed relationship means that you have give up certain things but you get a lot more back in return. You will still be you. There is nothing wrong with letting each other go and do their own thing, if anything it will keep your relationship stronger. And okay, if things don't work out then it's a lot more difficult to walk away from each other, but if your in a great relationship, and both of you are committed to making the best relationship that you can, then commitment has got to be worth trying.

Is the reason that your girlfriend is pressuring you to commit is that you are far to comfortable with the way things are? Is it the case that you have all the benefits of commitment but with none of the commitment. If that is the stage that you are at then your relationship is stagnating. Things cannot stay the same forever, to grow and develop they have to move forward. If your girlfriend wants commitment and she's not getting in because you are to lazy, then at some point she will stop wasting her time with you. So if you want her to stay with you then it might be time to take some responsibility in the relationship.

If she is definitely not the one for you, then stop wasting each others time and call it a day.

So, how can you tell your girlfriend to stop pressuring you to commit? Start talking to her again and find out why commitment is so important to her. Let her know how you feel about her, but let her know that you are still working out how you feel about the long-term. If giving her a time frame would help then set enough weeks or months for you to be sure about yourself. If you think that you are ready to go all the way then you can go for a nice long engagement. Your girlfriend gets the commitment that she needs, and you get the time to work through your feelings about her. If you are going to move your relationship forward to the next level, then it can only happen, and it can only work if you do it together.

Comment

Talk to her about it. Face to face. I am sure you will be able to work it out together. Manage to reach a compromise.

Comment

Working...
        X